Sunday, January 28, 2007

A Passage to India

Mom, Beatrice & I decide to go to India to attend the weddings of lover-ly sisters ..

...Sharon (with Sean)

...and Louise (with Justin)


Mom's Brother (Dr. Egbert Rebeiro - looking very dapper in a white jacket) is married to ....


... Aunty Emilda, who is the sister of...


... the Father of the Brides, Theo (red waistcoat), seen here with his wife Clarina (electric blue saree) and younger brother Nello (far left with his wife Hyacinth)



Mom's other brother, Benjamin Rebeiro ("Saji") and his wife Theresa ("Simi") meet us at the airport


Amachi (my grandmother) makes sure that Mummy and Santosh are well-fed and watered


Beatrice's help with the wedding preparations...


...is well rewarded at "Hyderabadi Chaat Night" at Uncle Nello's



Oh no! We get lost en route to the wedding...


...but thanks to the bevy of bridesmaids and bestmen, finally manage to spot the Church!


At Church - An Aerial View

The Bridal Entourage

Uncle Nello raises the toast at the reception with a witty and much-lauded speech

Zubin's all grown up now!

At the Reception - An Aerial View

Cutting the 5-tier Cake made by Uncle Nello's eldest Anisha


A Marine for Louise and Justin's cake!



Pretty Maids in a row at the Reception - Bertha, Sunita & Simi



The Couples' First Dance

Bea & I visit with the Rajputs (Poovathinkals) at "India Nite"

Bea and I had a great trip. It was real nice to see everyone again, especially Jojo and Pakku who have been great at keeping in touch over the years. And yet, it was disorientating too. Grandma not being there and not even stepping into Bethany felt deeply strange. Also, the kids were all grown-up. I still remember Talitha and Nikki (my two favourites) as a baby and a kid respectively, and tried vainly to connect them to the two beautiful young ladies bustling about around me. All my contemporaries had children of their own - even Chinna has a young son! Ah well twelve years is a long time. And yet, I can't shrug it off philosophically - I feel sorta cheated not to have seen the kids grow up (especially Talitha) and to have missed all the weddings and other shennanigans.

As blogger has been a super pain recently (especially for people like me i.e. I am even anal about spacing), I won't be uploading more photographs. As is this post took almost 4 months to complete.

So for the rest of my pictures please go to http://picasaweb.google.com/scarnet/PassageToIndia?pli=1

1 comment:

Nebula's Quill said...

Continue sooon..pleeease. :)
Really Really like your pic blogging,really nice.

hugs.